Tuesday, May 23, 2006

On the Workbench

I know it's been a while since I've posted an update. This is not due to inactivity however.

I have another Adirondack in the works. This is #2 for one of the girls at work. She bought one last summer and now she wants a matching one. I've got the frame assembled and have applied the primer. With the exception of the seat slats, the remaining pieces have been cut to size. I need to run the router over the edges to round off the sharp corners and give them all a quick sanding before getting the paint on these pieces.

I've also glued, cut and shaped the top of the Oak dresser. I've got the front back and sides glued up for the bottom drawer. I'm having a little trouble deciding what I want to do for the bottom of the drawers on this project. I'm trying to push this project farther into the "fine woodworking" category and I'm afraid that plywood drawer bottoms will hinder that. And at the same time, solid wood bottoms include more money, time, weight and work. I may just put off that decision until later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Use plywood. It has better strength. I think even the masters of wood worker still use plywood in their works. If you use solid wood, you need to be at least 5/16" for hardwood, and even thicker with the softer wood. It will not look nice. As long as you finish the surface properly, I think you should be ok.

Anonymous said...

In the latest Fine Woodworking (hit the mailbox today) there was mention that Basswood was often used for drawer bottoms, that might be a good option to avoid plywood, without too much weight... I'm with Bruce though. I'd use plywood, otherwise I'd probably go overkill with reinforcing to make sure my shirts and pants dont take a trip down a level or 2...

oh, and onthe size of the dresser, T'will look fine, since you used PHI, proportionally speaking... of course when your daughter finally takes it with her, it'll take an army....