Monday, January 24, 2011

The New Series - Candy Dishes

I know I've posted a couple pictures previously, but now that I have the first 4 completed, I thought I would post them all at once. These have been tons of fun to work on and I am certainly going to be making more!

The first candy dish includes 61 segments. I stained the wood prior to applying a gloss polyurethane finish. This dish is 2-3/4" tall and has a 5" diameter.










The second candy dish uses a similar design as the first, but includes 121 segments. This candy dish was also stained prior to the gloss polyurethane finish. This dish is 2-3/4" tall and has a 4-5/8" diameter.









The third candy dish includes 81 segments. I decided to skip the stain on this dish and just apply a gloss polyurethane finish to maintain the natural color of the pine. This dish is 2-3/4" tall and has a 4-3/4" diameter.









The fourth candy dish includes 81 segments. Again I decided to not stain the wood prior to applying the gloss polyurethane finish. This dish is 2-3/4" tall and has a 5" diameter.


Part of my original goal in making these candy dishes was to help give me a better visual of how different segment sizes would look as I am designing new pieces. So far I have not been disappointed and I'm looking forward to creating new candy dishes and trying different finishing techniques to continue providing new and different designs.

Please feel free to share any thoughts!

Darryl

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pretty nice stuff! so did you come up with the design, or are you working from a plan obtained elsewhere?