Sunday, March 06, 2011

Segmented Hollow Vessel #2 - Turning

After yesterday's glue-up, I started turning the new vessel today. First up was to mount the lower section of the vessel and layout how the base needs to be turned.














Next I turned the rough shape of the vessel and finished the bottom (not shown... sorry).

With the vessel turned around I could start hollowing the inside of the lower section. The tools I have can only go about six inches deep, so I first had to turn the inside of the bottom to the size I wanted. Then I could glue on and start to hollow the next ring.


The final two rings were then glued on and I could finish shaping the outside of the vessel and hollowing the inside.

I didn't want to make the walls of the vessel to thin since I am going to be doing the carving to the outside. The last thing I want to do is carve through the vessel! That would be bad...

This is how the vessel looks after turning...

and this is how the vessel looks after four hours of carving...

It's a slow process for sure, but I do like how it's coming along. I still have more carving and sanding to do, but I think I can get this one pretty close to done this week.

No comments: